Here’s how to set up a new database using the password manager, KeePass; plus, how to make an emergency sheet in case you forget your master password!
KeePass is a password manager that you can use offline to organize your passwords and account details into groups. You can also use KeePass to generate strong passwords, and assist you when filling in login screens on websites.
To use KeePass, you will need to download KeePass onto your computer and create a new .kdbx file and database using a master password. You can also generate an emergency sheet that you can use in the event that you misplace your master password. So if KeePass stores all of your passwords in a database, how can you create one? And what can you do if you forget your master password?
How to Create a New KeePass Database
KeePass is one of the many password managers that are available for you to try. If you are unfamiliar with password managers, you should definitely brush up on what a password manager is.
Before you start to use KeePass, you can also compare different password managers. Check out KeePass, LastPass, or 1Password to find out which is the right one for you.
You can create a new KeePass database using a master password. If you do not have KeePass installed on your device, you can download it from KeePass’s official website.
- Once you have KeePass installed, search for the KeePass application, and open it.
- Click on the File tab at the top of the window, and select New.
- Choose a place on your local drive to save the .kdbx KeePass database file.
- Create a master password. This is the password that you will need in order to enter the database when you open the file, so make sure it’s memorable but unique.
- KeePass will notify you on the strength of the password, using the estimated quality in bits.
- Click Ok.
- Add a name for the database. You can also add a description.
- If you want to get more specific on certain security and safety measures for the database, you can click on the Security tab or the Compression tab. This is where you can change other security options such as the database file encryption algorithm.
- Click Ok.
How to Generate a Password Emergency Sheet
You can generate an emergency sheet to use as a backup. You can refer to this sheet if you are unable to open your database, or have forgetten your master password.
- Once you have finished your database setup, KeePass will ask you to choose if you would like to print an emergency sheet.
- Save your emergency sheet by clicking on Print. When the print screen’s open, select the option that will allow you to print as a PDF file. This will open the file explorer where you can save the .pdf file.
- Fill in your master password and database location, and then save the file. Store the emergency sheet file in a safe place.
- You can also generate a new emergency sheet to access your KeePass database. In order to do so, you will need to change your current master password to a new one. Click on the File tab, and select Change Master Key.
- Enter your new password.
- Click on Save to save the new master password for the database.
- KeePass will open the same prompt window, asking you if you would like to print an emergency sheet.
Managing Passwords Using KeePass
It’s easy to create a new KeePass database; during the process, make a master password that you can use to access the database. KeePass also gives you the option to generate an emergency sheet, so you can retrieve your master password if you forgot what it is.
To start using KeePass, you can create new entries to store your passwords. You can also group your account entries under specific categories and generate strong passwords. KeePass further has shortcuts and autofill functions that you can use while logging into websites. It’s a great service, perfect for users of any experience level.