You don’t have to worry about accidentally sending emails again, as long as you’re quick enough.
How often have you sent an email to your colleagues only to realize that you made a mistake or forgot to mention something else?
Fortunately, Apple’s stock Mail app lets you unsend an email if you want, provided your Mac is up to date. Below, we’ll show you how, but before that, let’s briefly discuss how this feature works.
How the Unsend Feature Works in the Mail App
The Mail app on your Mac does not do anything sophisticated like pull an email out from the mail servers if you decide to unsend it. Instead, it briefly delays messages before sending them, allowing you to cancel delivery if you want.
The problem is that the delay duration is only 10 seconds, so you have to be quick; you do have the option of increasing that to 30 seconds by tweaking your Mail preferences.
Also, another thing; the “Undo Send” feature is only available in Mail for macOS Ventura and later, so you can’t use it if your Mac runs on an older version of macOS.
How to Undo Send in the Mail App for Mac
Here’s what you need to do to unsend an email in the macOS Mail app:
- Send the email.
- If you change your mind, immediately click on Undo Send at the bottom-left corner of the window. Again, you only have 10 seconds to do this. So, if you don’t see the option, the Mail app has already finished delivering the email.
- Clicking Undo Send should open the email in draft form. Correct the mistake and send it again. You can unsend it as many times as you want so long as you click Undo Send within the 10-second time frame.
How to Increase the Send Delay Duration in the Mail App
You can always give yourself some extra time to unsend an email before the Mail app on your Mac sends out an email. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open the Mail app and select Mail > Settings from the macOS menu bar.
- Switch to the Composing tab.
- Under Sending, you’ll find the Undo send delay setting, which you can change to 20 or 30 seconds.
Undo Send to Fix Your Mistakes
The ability to unsend emails in Mail for Mac is a phenomenal addition and should often come in handy more than you think. But don’t forget to increase the delay duration if you want to have some extra time to cancel email delivery.
Apple has also introduced Undo Send in the Messages app, giving you up to two minutes to unsend a text and avoid awkward moments.
Undo Send is also a feature in iOS 16, so if you have an iPhone, feel free to check it out.