Tickets for the event started at $ 169 for early bird purchasers, with a VIP package costing $ 299 and a platinum VVIP ticket costing $ 999. An FAQ on the website said tickets would be emailed out “seven days prior to the event date, to help prevent scalping and fraudulent ticketing”.
The website also warns “all ticket sales are final and non-refundable”, but if the festival is canceled promises “we will provide a refund” which would be “only the face value of your ticket”.
Newshub understands Napier City Council and Tauranga City Council have received multiple calls from customers who have paid for their tickets and are concerned the festival won’t actually be taking place.
There’s been speculation Tauranga’s festival wouldn’t be happening, but a spokesperson for the Council’s events management team told Newshub that was not true, confirming that in fact the current Wharepai Domain had sold out.
That site can hold 8000 including event staff, artists and organizers.
A statement from Juicy Fest addressed the concerns about the Wharepai Domain booking, saying it was a case of them possibly considering a bigger venue due to overwhelming demand.
“In regards to Tauranga, Wharepai Domain is the current confirmed venue,” reads the statement, which is attributed to Juicy Fest owner and promoter Glenn Meikle.
“Due to this venue selling out we are working towards confirming a bigger venue, which we expect to do very soon.
“We did prematurely announce a new venue for Tauranga but If this bigger venue falls through, we still have our original venue locked in at Wharepai Domain. Basically, the only difference is whether more people can attend our Tauranga festival or not.”
An event spokesperson working for Juicy Festival told Newshub: “If we can get a bigger venue, we absolutely will,” adding a wait list of “a couple of thousand people” were signed up, hoping to get into the event.
Newshub understands the organisers could be looking at Bay Venues, a site in the region which is not managed by Tauranga City Council.
Napier City Council said there had been similar calls with worried punters fearing they’d been scammed. But a Napier City Council spokesperson said they’d been dealing with the organisers “for the past few weeks” and said they were in the “process of signing off venue layout”.
The spokesperson also said they were aware of the worries from the public, but had got a good working relationship with the organizers of the event, with meetings on site happening within the past few months.
Among other online rumors was one that claimed artist Lloyd was double-booked. However, organizers of the festival posted a video from Lloyd on their social media channels on Monday, August 22, in which he promoted the dates he’d be coming to New Zealand.